Did you know that April 14 is National Dolphin Day? To celebrate our favorite marine mammals, we want to share some fun dolphin facts that you may not have known:
- Dolphins have acute eyesight both in and out of the water and a well-developed sense of touch, with free nerve endings packed in their skin.
- They can hear frequencies ten times or more than the upper limit of what adult humans can, and are able to make a broad range of sounds using their nasal air sacs.
- They are highly social animals – dolphin pods congregate in areas with an abundance of food, forming superpods, which may include over 1,000 dolphins.
- They will accompany injured or ill dolphins, and may even assist with their breathing by bringing them to the surface if needed.
- Dolphins frequently jump above the water’s surface for many reasons such as saving energy while traveling, social display, non-verbal communication and dislodging parasites.
Observe this special day with us at Dolphin Star by booking a tour on our Wild Dolphin Watch! For more information or to book your cruise today, visit https://www.dolphin-star.com/cruises/.